FDAAA serves FDA alumni by providing communications, holding functions, listing opportunities, and much more. Serving those who have served also takes the form of helping those who still are serving, the current staff at FDA.
Welcome to the Food and Drug Administration Alumni Association (FDAAA) website
This year's Annual Meeting of the Alumni Association was a special occasion. It honored a number of members who have contributed to the building of the organization and it marked the turnover of leadership of the Board of Directors to Nancy Myers.
Since this meeting in April, there have been a number of changes that all point to the growth and vitality of the FDAAA. This includes a renewed interest in promoting an awareness of Association's activities among current employees of the FDA, a commitment to grow the membership of the organization, and an awareness of the need to satisfy the social and professional interests of all our members (both those in the DC area and those scattered throughout the US and beyond). [more]
Today, we are saddened to learn our dear colleague and friend, Dr. Beverly Corey, FDA's Senior Regional Advisor for Sub-Saharan Africa has passed away. There are not enough words to express how much Dr. Corey will be missed.
For the last 3 years, Dr. Corey served as the Senior Regional Advisor for Sub-Saharan Africa in FDA's Office of International Programs (OIP). Having previously worked in FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine, Dr. Corey first joined FDA's Office of the Commissioner in 1989, and joined OIP in 1999 as the Director of the International Programs and Resource Management Staff. From 2002 until the re-structure of OIP under the "Beyond our Borders Initiative" in 2008, she served as Director of the Asia and the Pacific, Africa and Middle East Staff. From December 2008 to August 2009, she served as the Acting Country Director for India.
Dr. Corey served as the primary representative for FDA in Sub-Saharan Africa. She was responsible for ensuring appropriate engagement with foreign regulatory counterparts in the region on all issues that relate to FDA-regulated products. This included managing the sharing of information and addressing regulatory compliance issues, some of which have a global impact. She engaged strategically with sub-regional and regional organizations and managed regulatory systems strengthening activities that contribute to global health.
Dr. Corey's leadership in FDA activities supported global access to quality drugs. She managed FDA participation in the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and served as the FDA point of contact with all outside entities in the coordination of Agency activities dealing with PEPFAR, including those associated with drug firms seeking to participate in the expedited review process for antiretroviral (ARV) therapies for use in the PEPFAR focus countries. She was also the point of contact with the WHO Prequalification Unit to facilitate the sharing of confidential information to leverage review of antiretroviral products and facilitate the posting of FDA tentatively approved and approved ARVs on the WHO website.
Dr. Corey received her Bachelor of Science and Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degrees from Tuskegee University.
More information on funeral services and where you may send cards, flowers, etc. will be shared at a later date. Please forward this message to anyone we may have missed.
Associate Commissioner for International Programs
Deputy Director, Asia-Pacific Office
Office of International Programs
Save the Date - FDAAA Luncheon - September 12th
The next FDAAA luncheon will be held September 12, 2014. The speaker will be Dr. Richard Moscicki, Deputy Director, CDER.
- Date: September 12, 2014
- Time: 12:15
- Mrs. K's Tollhouse
9201 Colesville Road
Silver Spring, MD 20910
- $50 members
- $60 non-members
- $35 associate members
RSVP to Debbie Henderson at: Henderson106@gmail.com.
FDAAA Sponsors Session on Clinical Research Enterprise in Africa, Asia, and South American at 50th US DIA Annual Meeting
During the 50th US DIA Annual Meeting on June 16-19, 2014 in San Diego, CA, the FDA Alumni Association (FDAAA) through its International Network (FDAAAIN) sponsored a session titled Strengthening Public Policy for Sustainable Clinical Research Enterprise in Africa, Asia, and South America: Progress and Prospects.
The session examined some of the evolving policies and initiatives about clinical research in the three regions with the aim that participants could identify potential opportunities to locate clinical trials in these regions. Specifically, the session discussed ongoing activities to promote clinical research in Africa, Asia, and South America. The session also highlighted efforts at further strengthening the clinical research infrastructure in the regions.
At the August 5, 2014, FDAAA Board Meeting, it was announced that Cathy Carnevale and Susan Winckler will be the co-chairs of the Member Recruitment Committee and Mike Olson will be the FDAAA Treasurer.
The FDA Alumni Association joins FDA in recognizing the 100th birthday of one of the Agency's most celebrated alumnus. Her contributions are a source of great pride to all those dedicated to the FDA mission.
The following appeared in the FDA Voice on July 24, 2014 (FDA Voice - Dr. Kelsey):
Recent FDAAA Events
- FDAAA Sponsors Session on Clinical Research Enterprise in Africa, Asia, and South American at 50th US DIA Annual Meeting (07/16/14)
- Fifth Annual FDAAA Spring Fling - May 27, 2014 (06/15/14)
- Drs. Florence Houn and Zili Li, co-chairs of FDAAA's International Network received FDA's Distinguished Alumni Award at FDA's June 6th Award Ceremony (06/15/14)
- Update on FDAAA International Network Co-Chair Activities at DIA China, Shanghai China (05/22/14)
- FDAAA International Network Conducts GxP Training at DIA China, Shanghai (05/22/14)
- FDAAA International Network (FDAAA IN) Visits with China FDA Officials (05/22/14)
- The FDAAA's Annual Meeting and Board Meeting (05/05/14)
- Dr. Robert Temple Receives FDAAA's 2014 Harvey W. Wiley Award (05/04/14)
- FDAAA's 2013 Annual Report Released in Advance of April 22, 2014 Annual Meeting (03/20/14)
- FDAAA Luncheon with FDA Associate Commissioner for Regulatory Affairs Melinda Plaisier, February 6, 2014 (02/12/14)
- FDAAA Luncheon with FDA Chief of Staff Lisa Barclay, January 10, 2014 (01/22/14)
- FDAAA Announces New Treasurer and Chairs for New Member Recruitment Committee (08/10/14)
- Dr. Beverly Corey, FDA's Senior Regional Advisor for Sub-Saharan Africa has passed away (08/09/14)
- FDAAA joins FDA in recognizing the 100th birthday of one of the Agency's most celebrated alumnus (07/29/14)
- Passing of Ronald (Ron) Ottes (05/22/14)
- Dr. Steven Solomon Appointed As DACRA (04/15/14)
- John Roth, Office of Criminal Investigations Director Leaves FDA, Phil Walsky becomes Acting OCI Director (03/21/14)
- CDRH Holding Memorial Seminar on February 26 (02/18/14)
- FDA Chief Scientist Dr. Jesse Goodman Leaves FDA, Dr. Stephen Ostroff Becomes Acting Chief Scientist (02/12/14)
- Special Advisor to Dr. Hamburg Dr. Murray Lumpkin Retires (02/12/14)
- Associate Commissioner for Foods and Veterinary Medicine, Linda Tollefson to Retire (01/31/14)
- Dr. Hamburg announced the appointment of Howard Sklamberg as Deputy Commissioner for Global Regulatory Operations and Policy, effective January 13, 2014. (01/23/14)
This individual page is maintained by Linda Tukenmez