FDAAA serves FDA alumni by providing communications, holding functions, listing opportunities, and much more. Serving those who have served also takes the form of helping those who still are serving, the current staff at FDA.
Welcome to the Food and Drug Administration Alumni Association (FDAAA) website
This year's Annual Meeting of the Alumni Association was a special occasion. It honored a number of members who have contributed to the building of the organization and it marked the turnover of leadership of the Board of Directors to Nancy Myers.
Since this meeting in April, there have been a number of changes that all point to the growth and vitality of the FDAAA. This includes a renewed interest in promoting an awareness of Association's activities among current employees of the FDA, a commitment to grow the membership of the organization, and an awareness of the need to satisfy the social and professional interests of all our members (both those in the DC area and those scattered throughout the US and beyond). [more]
About 100 members of the FDAAA gathered on Tuesday November 18 in downtown Washington to recognize and honor former and current directors of FDA centers. Fourteen center directors attended.
Nancy Myers, FDAAA chairperson, who MCed the event, noted the important role that center directors play at FDA, by providing leadership and direction for programs including product approvals and compliance. Ed Steele, FDAAA president read the following remarks from Commissioner Margaret Hamburg who was unable to attend in person:
I am sorry that I could not attend the tribute to FDA's Center directors past and present, due to my long planned trip to China. However, I want to pass along my personal appreciation for the contribution our Center directors have made and continue to make to our nation's health and well-being. Before becoming FDA's Commissioner, I had a broad, but incomplete appreciation – like that of many Americans – for FDA's role in what is often called out consumer product "safety net." My five-plus years at FDA have given me a much fuller understanding of how remarkable FDA is as an institution that protects all of us every single day. And the range of roles and responsibilities that the Center directors have taken on over the years is nothing short of extraordinary. While the FDA is comprised of thousands of truly dedicated people, it is the Center Directors that provide the critical leadership their employees need to realize those exceptional achievements. You are all singular leaders and my respect for your accomplishments is boundless. You are genuinely awe inspiring. Thank you so much for all you have done year after year and for being – in so many ways – the heart and soul of the Food and Drug Administration.
The gathering was held at FoxKiser, a law firm in downtown DC. Sponsors of the event included FoxKiser, Biogen Idec, Greenleaf Health, Hogan Lovells, Keller & Heckman, King and Spalding, Alston & Byrd, Catalyst Healthcare Consulting and, Biotech Policy Group.
The event is part of a series sponsored by the FDAAA to recognize leaders at the FDA and to provide an opportunity for FDAAA members to gather in an informal setting with friends and former colleagues.
At the August 5, 2014, FDAAA Board Meeting, it was announced that Cathy Carnevale and Susan Winckler will be the co-chairs of the Member Recruitment Committee and Mike Olson will be the FDAAA Treasurer.
The FDA Alumni Association joins FDA in recognizing the 100th birthday of one of the Agency's most celebrated alumnus. Her contributions are a source of great pride to all those dedicated to the FDA mission.
The following appeared in the FDA Voice on July 24, 2014 (FDA Voice - Dr. Kelsey):
Recent FDAAA Events
- FDAAA Hold End of Year Reception as a "Tribute to Center Directors – Past and Present" (12/2/14)
- September 14 FDAAA Luncheon with FDA CDER Deputy Center Director for Science Operations, Richard A. Moscicki, MD (10/27/14)
- FDAAA Sponsors Session on Clinical Research Enterprise in Africa, Asia, and South American at 50th US DIA Annual Meeting (07/16/14)
- Fifth Annual FDAAA Spring Fling - May 27, 2014 (06/15/14)
- Drs. Florence Houn and Zili Li, co-chairs of FDAAA's International Network received FDA's Distinguished Alumni Award at FDA's June 6th Award Ceremony (06/15/14)
- Update on FDAAA International Network Co-Chair Activities at DIA China, Shanghai China (05/22/14)
- FDAAA International Network Conducts GxP Training at DIA China, Shanghai (05/22/14)
- FDAAA International Network (FDAAA IN) Visits with China FDA Officials (05/22/14)
- The FDAAA's Annual Meeting and Board Meeting (05/05/14)
- Dr. Robert Temple Receives FDAAA's 2014 Harvey W. Wiley Award (05/04/14)
- FDAAA's 2013 Annual Report Released in Advance of April 22, 2014 Annual Meeting (03/20/14)
- FDAAA Luncheon with FDA Associate Commissioner for Regulatory Affairs Melinda Plaisier, February 6, 2014 (02/12/14)
- FDAAA Luncheon with FDA Chief of Staff Lisa Barclay, January 10, 2014 (01/22/14)
- FDAAA Announces New Treasurer and Chairs for New Member Recruitment Committee (08/10/14)
- Dr. Beverly Corey, FDA's Senior Regional Advisor for Sub-Saharan Africa has passed away (08/09/14)
- FDAAA joins FDA in recognizing the 100th birthday of one of the Agency's most celebrated alumnus (07/29/14)
- Passing of Ronald (Ron) Ottes (05/22/14)
- Dr. Steven Solomon Appointed As DACRA (04/15/14)
- John Roth, Office of Criminal Investigations Director Leaves FDA, Phil Walsky becomes Acting OCI Director (03/21/14)
- CDRH Holding Memorial Seminar on February 26 (02/18/14)
- FDA Chief Scientist Dr. Jesse Goodman Leaves FDA, Dr. Stephen Ostroff Becomes Acting Chief Scientist (02/12/14)
- Special Advisor to Dr. Hamburg Dr. Murray Lumpkin Retires (02/12/14)
- Associate Commissioner for Foods and Veterinary Medicine, Linda Tollefson to Retire (01/31/14)
- Dr. Hamburg announced the appointment of Howard Sklamberg as Deputy Commissioner for Global Regulatory Operations and Policy, effective January 13, 2014. (01/23/14)
This individual page is maintained by Linda Tukenmez