FDAAA serves FDA alumni by providing communications, holding functions, listing opportunities, and much more. Serving those who have served also takes the form of helping those who still are serving, the current staff at FDA.
FDLI Annual Meeting - April 20-21
You will have an opportunity to hear the keynote address by the "new, designated, acting commissioner of the FDA" at the 2015 FDLI Annual Conference will be April 20-21, 2015 | Grand Hyatt Washington | Washington, DC Check it out at http://www.fdli.org/annual2015
The FDLI meeting will also feature the FDAAA's 2015 Harvey Wiley Award recipient lecture.
Wiley Award Lecture and FDAAA Annual Meeting Both on April 20
The FDAAA's prestigious Harvey Wiley Award will be presented at the FDLI annual meeting on April 20 to Michael R. Taylor, J.D., Deputy Commissioner for Foods and Veterinary Medicine. The venue for the presentation and Mike's lecture is the Grand Hyatt Washington Hotel, 1000 H Street NW, Washington, DC 20001.
The award presentation will directly follow FDLI's luncheon speaker. The schedule will be as follows:
- 12:30-1:40 pm - Lunch and Luncheon speaker Nancy Brown
- 1:40-1:55 pm - FDA Alumni Association Awards Presentation
FDAAA members can attend the luncheon at a cost of $60 they can also attend the FDLI meeting on the morning of April 20 for $70. Attendance at both morning sessions and luncheon is $130. Please register with Michael Sprott (email@example.com) at FDLI if you would like to attend.
FDAAA Annual and Board Meetings will occur later in the day.
The Annual meeting will be held 3:30-4:30 on April 20th at the same hotel in the Franklin Square room which is on the Independence Avenue level.
The Board meeting will immediately follow from 4:30 - 5:30. (Please note that the FDLI cocktail party starts at 5:30.)
About Mike Taylor:
Michael R. Taylor was named Deputy Commissioner for Foods and Veterinary Medicine at the FDA in January 2010.
A nationally recognized food safety expert, Mr. Taylor previously served in numerous high-level positions at FDA and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), as a research professor in the academic community, and on several National Academy of Sciences expert committees studying food-related issues.
Before returning to FDA in July 2009 as senior advisor to the commissioner, Mr. Taylor served as research professor, School of Public Health and Health Services, The George Washington University. His research agenda focused on policy, resource, and institutional issues that affect the success of public health agencies in carrying out their prevention-related missions.
Mr. Taylor served as administrator of USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) and acting under secretary for food safety at USDA. He spearheaded public health-oriented reform of FSIS, guided the development of new safety requirements for meat and poultry products, and addressed the hazard associated with E. coli O157:H7 in beef products.
Mr. Taylor began his career as a staff attorney at FDA, holding various positions including deputy commissioner for policy. He was involved in issuing regulations to address seafood safety and in carrying out nutrition labeling requirements.
Other positions held by Mr. Taylor include senior fellow, Resources for the Future; professor, School of Medicine, University of Maryland; partner, King & Spalding law firm; and vice president for public policy, Monsanto Company.
FDAAA Board of Directors Elections
It is time for alumni members to vote for who you want as Directors for the FDAAA organization (note that associate members do not vote for Board members - this protects FDA staff from any conflicts. If you are eligible to vote, you received an email from CK Gund, the FDAAA Secretary. Please take the time to VOTE now!!!
FDAAA and FDA are partnering on a pilot "FDA Alumni Advisor Program" that will match selected Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA) participants with former senior FDA leaders in a mentoring relationship.
The pilot program is part of the FDA's Division of Human Resource Development's (DHRD) Management and Leadership Development Program (MLDP).
By: Jayne Ware
The FDA Alumni Association celebrated Spring on April 2nd with an outstanding luncheon, featuring lively fellowship and a favorite FDA speaker. Over 35 FDAAA members attended the luncheon at Mrs. K's Toll House in Silver Spring, Maryland, and received a treat: a visit with Dr. Janet Woodcock, Director of the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER). For more than a decade, Janet has been highlighting the need for an overhaul of pharmaceutical quality regulation and seeking buy-in and alignment from leadership in other corners of the Agency. Janet was happy to report that a key piece of that overhaul is in place: an organizational transformation of the Center's business units involved in regulating drug quality. The transformation (a.k.a. an "administrative nightmare") involved a reorganization, consolidating the pharmaceutical quality functions previously housed in the Office of Pharmaceutical Science, the Office of Generic Drugs, the Office of Manufacturing and Product Quality, and the Office of Compliance, into a single organization.
New! FDAAA Annual Report 2014
See a summary of 2014 of the year
For your Alumni Association
Opportunity: RAPS Seeks Regulatory Experts
The Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society (RAPS) is seeking senior/executive regulatory affairs experts to volunteer in updating the regulatory professional competency framework.
Interested FDAAA members should contact Cindy Karst at firstname.lastname@example.org (phone 301.770.2920). When contacting RAPS, applicants should indicate their area(s) of expertise and preference for one of the two work groups (the small group of assessors or larger group of validators).
Recent FDAAA Events
- FDAAA Luncheon with FDA CDER Center Director, Janet Woodcock, MD, April 2, 2015 (04/10/15)
- FDAAA Holds End of Year Reception as a "Tribute to Center Directors – Past and Present" (12/2/14)
- September 14 FDAAA Luncheon with FDA CDER Deputy Center Director for Science Operations, Richard A. Moscicki, MD (10/27/14)
- FDAAA Sponsors Session on Clinical Research Enterprise in Africa, Asia, and South American at 50th US DIA Annual Meeting (07/16/14)
- Fifth Annual FDAAA Spring Fling - May 27, 2014 (06/15/14)
- Drs. Florence Houn and Zili Li, co-chairs of FDAAA's International Network received FDA's Distinguished Alumni Award at FDA's June 6th Award Ceremony (06/15/14)
- Update on FDAAA International Network Co-Chair Activities at DIA China, Shanghai China (05/22/14)
- FDAAA International Network Conducts GxP Training at DIA China, Shanghai (05/22/14)
- FDAAA International Network (FDAAA IN) Visits with China FDA Officials (05/22/14)
- The FDAAA's Annual Meeting and Board Meeting (05/05/14)
- Dr. Robert Temple Receives FDAAA's 2014 Harvey W. Wiley Award (05/04/14)
- FDA and FDAAA to Collaborate on Pilot Alumni Advisor Program (04/17/15)
- Opportunity: RAPS Seeks Regulatory Experts (03/10/15)
- FDAAA Praises Hamburg for Her Dedication To FDA's Mission and Looks Forward to Working with Dr. Stephen Ostroff Who Will Serve as Acting Commissioner (02/05/15)
- FDAAA Announces New Treasurer and Chairs for New Member Recruitment Committee (08/10/14)
- Dr. Beverly Corey, FDA's Senior Regional Advisor for Sub-Saharan Africa has passed away (08/09/14)
- FDAAA joins FDA in recognizing the 100th birthday of one of the Agency's most celebrated alumnus (07/29/14)
This individual page is maintained by Linda Tukenmez